Monday, November 5, 2012

It will be over tomorrow, or will it?

Good Monday morning to each of you. We are less than 48 hours away from knowing who our next president is. Which means the television coverage today will be ridiculous. Ads calling each other liars, not a one of them telling us what they are going to do.

I  took a trip to Olive Hill and Grayson on Saturday, and was so thankful I had several CD's in the car to listen to. Every other ad on the radio is political. I got to thinking about how well off most media outlets are about this time of year. With the amount of advertising that candidates are doing, they must be making a mint.

And All Things Country Magazine never had a political ad one. I guess they forget about us. I should be upset, the magazine could really use some of that money to get us back on solid ground. But then again, our magazine promotes good news and I haven't seen a good ad yet. So really I'm a bit pleased that we are involved in that mess.

I can't image the amount of money that has traded hands over the past year. The amount of political advertising on the television shows me that alot of money has been spent. Just think if they would have taken that same amount of money and helped out small businesses. Helped out a food bank somewhere. Donated to a children's hospital. They might have my vote then. But when the ad says it's paid for by  some PAC, well then that shows me one thing. They aren't out for us, they are out for the agenda of the PAC.

One of the first lessons I learned in journalism was to never promote politics on either side. I've adhered to that. The only thing I would suggest is that you get out and vote. You can't complain if you don't vote.

Tomorrow will be a big day in our country, one that will change alot of things -no matter which way it goes. So, while you are in that voting booth - say a prayer for our country. We can use all of them that we can get!

And after you have finished with your voting, stop by a locally-owned, small business in your community and make their day!

No comments:

Post a Comment