Wednesday, August 10, 2011

With the debut of our new magazine ... we've added a blog too!

The August edition of All Things Country Magazine debuted our biggest change to the publication since we started in June of 2006. It's now an 'official' magazine, in my opinion anyway! The magazine is now printed on a sheet-fed press, which allows more precision with artwork - and an overall better look. We'll get a few glitches with type worked out with our September book, other than that I was very pleased with how it turned out.

I've worked in graphic design since 1983, so I'm pretty comfortable with building ads and such. But I've always done it for a web press, which is a whole different process than a sheet-fed press. I have more freedom to be a bit creative with the new printers. It's giving me all kinds of ideas for pages now :-)

We made this switch for a variety of reasons. I know that several of our advertisers are worried about our prices raising. The truth of the matter is, they were going to raise anyway. Not drastically, but some. We've never really had a big price increase since we started, yet the price of gas has doubled, the price of paper and ink has raised, the economy has prevented some businesses from advertising at all. And, yet, we still want to keep our magazine free.

So, we decided to meet everyone half way. Yes, prices are increasing somewhat - but you are getting a much better product for your money too. We didn't feel we could raise prices with the quality of a web-press magazine, but the new look justifies it. We hope to continue to be able to bring you All Things Country free of charge for years to come!

Some people tell us that they don't have anything to advertise, but they still would like to have the magazine each month in their business. We ask that you consider running a business directory ad, which gives your contact information, much like a phone book. Your customers will appreciate you for it! And we would appreciate the support.

I started this magazine because I spent too many years in the newspaper industry - spreading bad news around. And I want to spread good news around. There is good in this world. There really is. You think about your local newspaper ...... and think of this scenario: you have two business people in a small community. One of these business owners goes out of his way to help when asked. He helps out at the food bank, volunteers at his church, gives to the needy. This business-person's next door neighbor is kind of a shady character. His business is run shoddily, when it's even open. And the traffic in and out - you just know something isn't right. And then, bam - he gets arrested for something. Which one of these business-people will have their picture and story on the front page of your local paper? You can bet it isn't the one who does good for your community.

Dave and I moved here in 2002. We knew two people in Estill County when we moved here. My dad and one of my cousins, Carol Ann. As many of you know (or at least those that read ATC), living in Kentucky was my dream for many years. But, it's very scary moving to a new place. We weren't sure where to shop, the good deals, the best places to eat. And it didn't seem like you could find out much through any of the local papers. So, for several years, my mind kept churning on what I wanted to do and how it would involve tourism. I have always loved to travel - and I had this whole new state to explore! Lots of new shops, new parks, rivers, mountains ... and we want to share them all with you!

So, we'll keep on keeping on .... and hope you enjoy the ride along with us.

I hope you enjoy my ramblings .... they'll be a daily fixture from here on out - or until you guys all tell me to shut up :-)

Have an awesome day - and spread a little good news.
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment