Monday, August 15, 2011

A wonderful morning, spent with wonderful people

This morning was the Estill County Chamber of Commerce BREW get-together. BREW stands for Business Roundtable for Estill Women - and we sure have a fun time at these get togethers, or at least I do! Today's breakfast was graciously hosted by Barbara Napier at Snug Hollow Bed and Breakfast. What a treat.

I had never been to Snug Hollow, so it was even more of a treat for me. My sister Roben joined us this morning, so we both got to explore that treasure together this morning. Very impressive. If you have never been to Snug Hollow, I encourage you to do so. It's so pretty up there, and I'm sure even prettier in the evenings. I told Barbara that I would probably never go to town if I lived there. I guess that's probably why I seldom see her in town.

It doesn't help that I try to leave the farm as little as possible as it is. It's so relaxing, living in the country. It's not for everyone, I know that. But, it's sure for me. Whenever we head into Lexington, which is rarely, I just look at all the houses built on top of each other, with very small yards. I just couldn't do it again. I've lived in my share of big cities ... Woodbridge, Virginia; Salem, Oregon; Boise, Idaho. And I enjoyed that type of life at the time, it's just the last 10 years or so that I've adapted to country life.

I've never been one to stick on one place too long. Growing up in the military gave me a love of traveling, so I just never figured I'd stay in any one place very long. My longest stint in one town was probably Orofino, Idaho - and had a career change not taken me out of Clearwater County I might still be there. That is, until that fateful visit to dad's farm here in Estill County during the summer of 2002. I literally called Dave back in Idaho and told him to pack the truck. I flew home and we drove back out here. He must have had faith in me, because he came to Kentucky with me even though he'd never been to Estill County. He had no clue where I was moving him......

He must enjoy it, because we haven't went back to Idaho yet. And I must enjoy it too, because we actually bought property here. Guess we'll just stay a while :-).

Have a great day everyone! Be kind to someone and it'll give you much more joy than you give.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment