Monday, February 18, 2013

Another beautiful day ... followed by snow on Tuesday?

It is gorgeous outside, well at least here in Palmer it is. Bright blue skies overhead, crisp morning temps that are supposed to raise up to nearly 50 degrees today. This is winter? Well, I guess it's winter in Kentucky. Weird and wacky weather for sure. Tomorrow they say we may see snow! What's up with that?

Even more of a question? Will we really see it tomorrow or not? It seems to kind of go over the top of Kentucky and hit the states around us. Some people on the weather blog refer to our area as the snow dome of Kentucky. It falls, then just rolls off the dome onto the states surrounding us.

After living here for over ten years, I've come to the conclusion that Kentucky will never get another monster snow. I've heard about the 'dusting' for years, but have yet to see over 3 or 4 inches on the ground at once. I am really not complaining. Not much at least. When we do get severe weather of any type it usually results in a disaster of some kind for someone in the state. And that's just plain awful!

I've lived in the north enough to know that snow is very pretty on the ground. It gets very old by April or May..... Sometimes in the mountains of Idaho, roads don't even open up until June or July. The snowplows can't get through some of the roads so they just close them off for the winter. Snowmobiles are very popular in these areas.

I remember living in northern Maine as a child and not seeing the ground except for about one month, walking over a raging river to get to school - until the spring thaw that is. We also lived in northern Michigan and all I remember about that is the snow. I barely remember seeing the ground there. My dad has pictures of us camping in the snow while we lived there. That's dedication to camping I'd say.

As much as I'm ready for spring, I doubt we've seen the end of winter. I'd love to spend today - President's Day - planting seeds to get a head start on my garden. But, I'm pretty sure I've got another week or so to get it accomplished. Maybe the next snow day???

Have a great week everyone. It's deadline week for me, so I'll be attached the this keyboard for the better part of the week. And for that, I'm grateful. Without our wonderful advertisers, I wouldn't be!




No comments:

Post a Comment