Monday, February 11, 2013

February is always a weird month

February is always just a weird month for me. I guess because it's shorter than the rest of the months of the year. In my business, it means less time to get the next edition ready to print. And to make matters worse, the printers need the book on the last day of February to get us printed on time! So...... the rush begins.

I'm excited that we can actually print before the end of the month. Delivery will begin on the 4th, about as close to the first of the month as we've gotten with the new printers. Maybe we can slowly adjust to where we come out before the 1st each month.

My original idea for All Things Country Magazine was to pick up ads for the next edition when we delivered! That didn't work. For a couple of reasons. We are in a bit of a hurry when we deliver. It takes alot for two of us to deliver a good 10,000 magazines in three days. If the weather is good, we can get it done in two VERY LONG days. During the winter months, it's a bit tougher. So, that kind of hinders picking up ads due to the time constraints. If we picked up the next month's ads along the way, it would take even longer to get the magazine out to 20 counties.

The second reason? Advertisers are never ready a month in advance. I'm not quite sure how they do it when they advertise in Kentucky Living or Southern Living. The deadline is months in advance. And the prices? OMGosh. A full page in Kentucky Living is well over 5,000.00 per month. A business card in Kentucky Living is costly too.

All Things Country Magazine is not nearly a Kentucky Living or a Southern Living and I readily admit that. But we're getting pretty darned popular in the areas that we deliver to. And for that I'm very thankful. Going to the mailbox after the book comes out is alot of fun (maybe not for the mail lady). And this month there will be even more mail due to the kid's Abby Track drawing. I can't wait to read all the great comments about the publication. Even the critical ones I receive from time to time. At least I try to learn from the critical ones!

The March book kicks off Spring for me. I guess that's the exciting part of rushing to get it ready. We're rushing right along into the best season of all for me. I love the re-birth that happens each March and April. The trees start budding out and giving us brilliant color. The red buds. Oh, what can I say about those beauties? Daffodils and early blooming bulbs start showing their colors to welcome back all that springs brings.

As I look out the front window this morning, it's breezy and clouds are dotting the blue sky. The days are getting longer and more and more activity can be seen out there. More birds are out and about. I've even seen a robin already! I hate wishing my life away, but come on Spring.

Have a great Monday .... wherever you may be. Remember to count your blessings and give an extra hug to those you love.
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment