Thursday, December 15, 2011

I appreciate Kentucky even more!

Good morning everyone. I have just returned from a 8 day trip to the West Coast and although I enjoyed parts of my journey more than others, what I enjoyed the most was returning to Kentucky safe and sound. Well, as sound as I get anyway!

Our kidlet graduated with her Master's Degree in Special Education on December 10th from the University of Idaho, so my sister and I headed west for the special occasion. Unfortunately the Dave person had to stay behind in Kentucky to keep the farm and All Things Country running. Roben and I had a nice visit with our children and grandchildren, saw a few special friends and toured the Winter Spirit display in downtown Lewiston.

As much as I love visiting our hometown, I was pretty much ready to head home to Kentucky by day two. Well, maybe day three. But it didn't take long. I was kind of surprised. I hadn't been to the valley in over two years, so figured I'd enjoy catching up with what's changed and all. The sad part was, I would have to get out in the hustle and bustle to see all of it - and what hustle and bustle it was! The traffic, the stop lights, the POLICE!

I did most of the driving back there - and my daughter would constantly warn me about the police. On one occasion when I took Jen to work, we saw three different vehicles pulled over in about 10 minutes. The speed limit is 25 everywhere ... and police sit on every corner waiting for someone to go 27 miles per hour. I don't remember that many police. Is this how those cities pay their bills? By giving out tickets? Gosh, I could think of many better things for the hundreds of police I saw there .... hundreds of them in two towns that aren't that big. Yes, I'm probably inflating that number a bit, but it was a bit much.

The weather back there? No snow. Very little snow in the mountains even. There was a lot of it north of us, but I really expected to see more of it. What I didn't expect? The cold. I absolutely froze to death while I was there. It was a straight to the bone type of cold. Even to unlock the car doors froze you to the bone. It was actually pretty cold in Kentucky while I was away, but I was blessed to arrive home in Louisville Tuesday night to weather in the 50s! No coat was even needed to get to the pickup. And yesterday, oh my gosh! Over 60 degrees most of the day, bright blue sunny skies. And again, a day with no coat and gloves.

My sister and I talked all the way up to Spokane Tuesday morning to catch our flights home. We weren't sad and not ready to leave like I had figured when we headed out there. Of course, we miss our kids and grandkids, miss our friends and family. But we were definitely both ready to come home. Back to where we know that our cell service works .... even in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. Back to where we know to drive decently, but aren't fearful of a policeman on every corner just lying in wait. At least the speed limit is reasonable here. And it's more of a drive safe and prudent environment. But, heck, if I want to go slow here and there are cars behind me, I don't freak out thinking they are going to run me off the road or honk. We just know that sometimes there are slower drivers and we respect that. I'll never complain about it again.

I'm thankful to be back on the farm now, watching the serene wildlife out the front window. I'm thankful to be working on our January magazine and spreading the good that is in Kentucky. I love the people here, the many friends I've made and my very simple way of life. Sure, Dave and I stay very busy ... we like it that way. But, it's still a simple way of life compared to what I just witnessed in our old hometown. Note I said old hometown ..... I really think that beautiful Palmer, Kentucky is my new hometown. I think they'll have me now, after 9 years of being here. I'm not a native Kentuckian, but I call myself a proud Kentuckian!

Have a Blessed day everyone.
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment