Saturday, February 4, 2012

Is it really Super Bowl weekend?

Gosh, it's so hard to believe that it's Super Bowl weekend. But, if you watch TV at all, you certainly haven't forgotten it happens this weekend. I'm kind of split on the Super Bowl coverage of the past week. I have a friend in Indianapolis, so I've tried to watch for her during the morning show all week. Most of them have been filming from there all week, so it's been hard to miss if you watch television at all.

What I'm split on is the fact we've seen so many of the commercials. I understand, from a marketing standpoint, that it is only beneficial to put them online. I mean you are getting so much more coverage and it's for the most part free. I guess it's up to a person not to watch them online if you are interested in watching them during the game. I must say I am looking forward to seeing the entire Elton John/Pepsi commercial. But it would have been so much better to see it the first time during the game, not days before on The Today Show. Oh well. It's just my opinion, which I've learned doesn't mean a whole lot.

Super Bowl usually has meant some type of a party most of my life. My folks watched football, so we watched football growing up as kids. My first real memories of football come from our time spent in Woodbridge, Virginia. We were huge Redskins fans. Dad worked for Lowe's back then, when Lowe's was barely a store, not a huge chain store. He had Redskin players as customers, so he actually knew some of those on the field. We always thought that was kind of cool.

I remember Dad coming home with tickets to a big year-end NFL banquet one year, compliments of Lowe's. Mom shopped for the perfect clothes for a month, Dad even had to have a tuxedo I think. Mom was so excited to go. She went to the beauty shop a day or so before the big event to have her hair colored .... and came home with hair that had a purple tint. Oh my! She was devastated. Nowadays it wouldn't mean a thing, would it? But back in the 1970's, it meant something. We assured her that it would be okay. And it was. She looked fabulous in her dress, jewelry and make-up. And the hair wasn't that PURPLE, it just had kind of a weird tint to it. Back then they wouldn't re-do your color for several days, so she really didn't have much of an option but keep a smile on her face and go.

They came home with stories galore. Mom talked of sitting with football players at their table that were twice her height. Sure that's pushing it a bit, but she was only 5 foot tall so it must have felt that way. I can't remember her talking about the food, but I'd say it was mighty tasty too.

Most of my super bowl memories include food and big get-togethers. I spent many years in the mountains of Idaho at Super Bowl parties. We considered it Super Bowl weekend though. Any excuse for a party back then. Of course, I'm sure those I gathered with back then will still gather together again tomorrow and enjoy the game. Although I'm sure it's not as exciting for them since there isn't a west coast team in the mix.

For several of my friends back there the party starts today!! You see, it's the annual Pierce Winter Carnival weekend 'on the hill.' I'm sure they are glad to have finally got some snow, so most of the events can go on as planned. They have snowmobile rides, snowman building contests and just fun in the snow. This is the second year for the Barstool races, and I'm sure hoping I get to see pictures. Or like one of my friends said, a video! They put skis on barstools and race them. What fun that must be to see. I'll share it with you in a future post if I see one posted.....

Well, time to get some work done around here! I've got company coming for the game tomorrow ... and we'll be having our own little party on the farm. Hoping your weekend is blessed, no matter if you watch the game or not......

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment