Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Rough Start to the Day

It's been a wild morning for Kentucky, at least weather wise. The line of bad stuff is past us here in Palmer .... but it's still moving eastward and I'm sure many people will be affected by this in the next few hours, not just in Kentucky but the entire East Coast as it travels that way.

The weather in Kentucky can sure be crazy. Tornado warnings this morning and then snow for the weekend. The same thing happened last March when that crazy tornado outbreak happened. All the many people who lost everything dealt with snow just a few days later. As I'm typing this up, West Liberty is in the eye of the storm again and I'm sure there are more than just a few nervous people down that way.

Our weather alert radio went off at 4:30 this morning. Woke us right up, let me tell ya! But they are certainly a good thing to have. At least they make you aware of weather headed your way. From watching the radar on Lex18, you could tell it was going to hit us right about the time that the buses ran with all the Estill County kiddos.

What a decision the superintendent must make when weather happens. It's never going to be right for all of the people. If nothing hit the county, then he was wrong for keeping them out. And vice-versa. Since we have a scanner, we were listening to the bus drivers reporting in. They had a rocky ride getting the kids to school. They deserve many, many kuddos. They were just doing their jobs. And they kept all the kids safe - with several of them pulling over to wait it out. I'd say there were some panicked kids on some of the buses and the monitors had their hands full also.

Personally, I am not sure I would have sent my child this morning - delay or no delay. As a parent, it's essentially my decision to send them or not. With a bus being a high-profile vehicle and the warnings for high winds, it just would have been my decision. Sure, everyone can't choose that option. But, hey, if you have a car and can get your kiddos to school, why not keep them until it's over.

I'm guessing they figured they could get everyone delivered before the storms hit. Which means, had a tornado hit .... the kids would have been in the school and who knows what could have happened then. Chaos for sure. I was never known to be too protective of my kidlet when she was growing up, but we never dealt with tornadoes in Idaho, Washington or Oregon either! Just snow storms. And school never closed for a snow storm, not back in my days of school. You just added another layer of clothes before heading out the door.

Well, enough of my crazy thoughts for the morning. Have a Blessed day - and stay safe where-ever you may be!



No comments:

Post a Comment