Saturday, January 7, 2012

Going Blue

I live in a world of blue. Almost daily you hear at least one Big Blue comment. You know, we bleed blue, big blue madness. This is life in Kentucky. After all, we've got the best basketball program in history at the University of Kentucky. I was always a Kentucky fan, of sorts, no matter where I lived. But I wasn't always a UK fan.

When I lived in Kentucky in the early 1970's, we lived in Carter County. Close to Morehead State University. That is where I always wanted to go to college - had I been a good enough student to go to college. My mom worked in Morehead and I just always loved that town. Don't have a clue why, just did. So, when we moved away and I was far from where I wanted to live, I watched Kentucky sports. And always rooted for MSU, not UK so much.

How on earth I got off on Kentucky sports, I'll never know. I guess because UK plays today. Everyone in Kentucky knows that!

No, I started off writing this about my fingernails. Currently blue fingernails. I've gone blue for a couple of months, which is bad in a way. If UK has a winning season, then I'll be scared to take the blue off until they win the championship. And who am I kidding, UK will have a winning season; so I'll be blue for a while.

My fingernails are my weakness, something I attribute to my late grandmother. She had this thing about painted nails. If mine weren't painted, she would fuss at me. If they weren't painted 'perfectly' she would fuss even more. She was, after all, an Avon lady. But, she didn't do that until later in life and she always seemed to fuss about my fingernails. I'm cursed with long nails. I had to file them off daily when I was younger, just to keep them shorter.

But, long they still are. And always have been strong too. Which is good since I'm a typist. But I learned to type with long nails, so it's no big deal. What was a big deal ... when I turned to gardening. Pulling weeds with long nails turned into a problem. Between going through gardening gloves like crazy, and breaking them once in a while, I thought my days of having nice nails were over. Not so.

One of my friends in town showed me how to fix a badly broken nail with acrylic and I've been hooked ever since. It has turned into my one extravagance in life. Instead of doing my nails every few days like I did for some 30 years, I now have them done about once a month. A good 3 hours of relaxing and enjoying a break during my hectic month. And hey, Dave loves it too. He hasn't had to smell nail polish remover in several years. He hated it when I did my nails at home.

Yes, it's an addiction. But, of all the addictions I've had in my life, I consider this a healthy addiction! And my dear grandmother is smiling down knowing my nails ALWAYS look good now. She is really smiling down now, because blue was her favorite color.

Have a great day everyone. And go Big Blue!
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment