Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The week I've been dreading has finally arrived.....

It's a sad week for me. One I have been dreading for about six months. I've known it was going to happen, just didn't really want to believe it. But January 13th is day after tomorrow and it will all end.

You are really going to laugh, at least some of you are. You see, One Life to Live - my beloved soap opera is going to end on Friday. I've watched it my whole life. Yes, I'm a soap opera watcher. Got it from my mom, who always watched them. It's funny, too, because my mom always worked. I'm guessing that we watched them together through her many back surgeries through my younger years. But, she's not here to ask, so I'm just guessing.

I remember watching soap operas before they were in color, and that was a long time ago. Several soaps have went off the air that my mom watched. The Doctors and Search for Tomorrow to name a couple. And I don't remember being so torn up about them. But, the thought of never seeing Victoria Lord again, man what a bummer it's been.

During my many years in the newspaper business, I generally worked night shift. For many years I went in at 11pm and didn't get off until 6 or 7am. So, my 'prime time' television was in the afternoons. My soaps. Or stories, as my aunt Ruthie would call them. I didn't watch shows like Friends for years, I was usually taking my nap before work. There are still some episodes of Friends that I've never seen.

But, I've rarely missed an episode of One Life To Live. I'm pretty sure that since recording capabilities became available, I haven't missed an episode. I wore out many a VCR tape rewinding it every evening for the next days show.

So, the thought of never knowing how Starr Manning grows up is heartbreaking. I mean, I've watched since the day she was born - and she is one character they've never replaced actresses with to age her. So, I've actually watched the actress grow up too.

And Victoria Lord, my gosh! She has been on the show since it started. My whole life I've been watching her, through her marriages, alter egos, various trips back in time. The whole 'outlandish' world of soaps.

And though soaps have outlandish storylines, they also have telling ones too. Like when Megan died of Lupus. Or the current storyline about teen bullying. They also deal with real life issues, and thankfully most of them do it accurately.

So, each evening this week I've watched the last episodes I'm ever going to see. I've wondered how the writers will end it for months and we are finding out this week. Yes, I said we. Because Dave watches every evening with me too. And next week, the 2pm time slot will be filled with another news show. Something this world doesn't need.

Oh, well. I've still got two left. The Young and the Restless on CBS, which I've only watched since the late 1970's and General Hospital, which will be the only one left on ABC. I've watched it since Jessie was the head nurse and Steve was Chief of Staff. A very long time ago. I'm sure both of them will end in the future too and pretty soon the end of a television era will be forever gone.

Yet, as I mourn the loss of my beloved soap opera, I have thoroughly enjoyed the 60 year anniversary of The Today Show. Let's hope it's on for another 60 years. The Today Show is the only show that was allowed on our television in the mornings. Again my mom was a faithful watcher/listener in the mornings, so I've always continued to watch it. The Friday show is going to have all the past anchors that have been on the show and that's going to be fun to watch!

Well, enough of soap operas and such .... I've got work to do!  Have a great day everyone. And stay safe out there. It's cold and rainy today, very rainy! But, they are saying it'll probably turn over to snow tomorrow, so the fun of winter will 'finally' begin.

Blessings to you all. Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment