Saturday, January 28, 2012

I broke down and went to Pinterest

I have been trying my hardest to stay off the new site Pinterest. I don't have enough time in my day now, much less start something else. But, in the world of internet marketing, you just about have to check everything out. So I went to check it out. And it's exhausting!

I have spent the past couple of days working on our website and my blog page. I remember when this stuff was easy to me. Not anymore! Technology has changed so darned much - almost daily in fact. I plainly remember sitting at my computer in the mid-1990's, saying I wouldn't have a computer at home. I worked on one 10 to 12 hours a day for many years, why on earth would I want one at home?

I worked with a fellow named Jorge in Oregon who introduced me to the internet. He had all the latest gadgets and would bring them to work to show all of us. I wasn't a bit interested. He would show me what I could find on the internet and I will admit, I didn't understand a bit of it. And heck, I had enough to keep track of in my brain already, so there really wasn't room for more.

I thought that clear back in the 90's? Boy, wasn't I naive? By the time Jen graduated in 2000, we had two computers at home. One upstairs, one downstairs. The kidlet and I actually chatted with each other in our own home. Who'd have thunk it? Nowadays, Dave and I have been known to text each other in our own living room!

Computers were inevitable I guess. I finally gave in to Dave and Jenni when it dawned on me that it was the only way Jen was going to learn to type. She took so many pre-college classes in high school that she ran out of electives to take typing. And she kept putting it off. Until the computer. Boy, she learned to type quickly! All of her friends were chatting, seems like our phone quit working once the computer came into our home.

Building websites over the years has evolved so much, that I'm just so confused most of the time when I stumble through updating our sites. I want to do so much, just don't have the know-how to do it. But, I'm learning. In my spare time, ha ha. I've found that with satellite internet, the very best time to be online is about 3am. Not fun, but I'm used to doing the night-shift thing. I did it for many, many years. There is something peaceful about working in silence in the middle of the night. I seem to absorb more that way.

I guess I will be spending quite a few nights working, because I want to get it right. And it's not right yet. But, hey ... at least Pinterest informed me that I was put on a waiting list for an invite, so I guess I'm okay there. And really, put on a waiting list? My goodness.

Have an awesome Saturday everyone. Make the most of the day you are given.

Blessings, Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment