Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Recipes, Recipes, Recipes ....

Our February edition will be full of recipes, a favorite among readers. I've been typing up recipes for the past month and we have quite the collection. It's so much fun reading the comments from those who submit their Abby Track entry each month, in which recipes were to be included this month. I try to include as many comments as I can in each edition of the book.

I am a bit worried about our February book though. I keep looking at the long list of recipes I have to put in there - and then I look at the short list of ads that we have. The past month has been a month of hearing no everywhere we go. I know, I know ... complaining again. I am not trying to though. It's been a good month as far as meeting people, and that accounts for a lot.

Just yesterday the sister and I went East, all the way to Olive Hill. It was an enjoyable trip. We got to visit with Uncle Bobby and his beautiful wife Penny. That is always a treat. We ate a fabulous meal down at the Smokey Truck Stop - goodness, try their Smokey Burger sometime. I can see why it made it on that Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives show. Of course, I didn't have any luck selling an ad. I guess they figure they are famous enough from the show. But hey, they love the book and want us to keep bringing it back. [Insert Sarcasm].

We drove home from Olive Hill along U.S. 60, the road paralleling the interstate. It's an enjoyable drive, especially on a beautiful day. And yesterday was a beautiful day, there is no arguing that point. It was actually hot in the car, with that bright sunshine beating down through the windows. We stopped about half way between Olive Hill and Morehead at the Globe Funeral Home. Again, trying to sell an ad. But more than that, I wanted to show my sister their car collection.

You see, I had stopped there another time to leave a rate card and was just so impressed with the die cast car collection. When you enter the building, you see the main hallway lined with curio cabinets of all sizes. The main hallway holds just a small sampling of what is elsewhere in the building. Old pedal cars sit atop the cases too. It's just fun to look at it all.

I really didn't expect to find the owners in, but I had my business information just in case! But, lo and behold, one of the owners was there. And sat and spoke with us about advertising. It was a plus in my book. Sure, I didn't walk out of there with an ad, but I did walk out of there with hope. And, as we were leaving, he told us to make sure we looked in the room to our left down by the door.

Oh my! What a room. It's the actual room where services are held, but along those walls were even more cases of cars. And pedal cars. One case held nothing but die-cast hearses from years past. We even saw a horse-driven one from many, many years ago. It was quite a treat. And such a good stop along our way.

Our next stop was Lying Lee's Used Cars. What a great name, huh? As I told the owner, I have been driving by that place for six years, always saying to myself "I would love to have them in our book." I just love their name. We were interrupting the owner's lunch, but he didn't seem to care. He even offered Roben and I some of his lunch. After a few minutes of chatting, I found out that this same gentleman puts on the Poppy Mountain Bluegrass Festival. Oh my. Another good contact. I'll be working up something for him later today!

Again, we walked out of a business with no ad for February ... but more hope that things are going to turn around. Spring is just around the corner and business will pick up for everyone. It has to, or we'll all be in the same boat. Out of business!

After two great visits, the sister person and I headed home. And, as disappointing as it was to come home - again - with no advertising to help us with our February book, it was a great day overall. Of course, we had a few more adventures before we arrived home. Like getting lost once. Yes, we got lost. I thought I'd try to find Sharkey - and thought maybe it would get us to Owingsville somehow. And I'm sure it does. But the route we took? Nope. We ended up back on the southern side of the interstate on Highway 801 again. Right exactly where we had been approximately 1 hour previous to that.

Oh well. The Roben person and I have been known to be lost many times, so it was just par for the course. And I'm guessing that if I have to be lost, she is a pretty good person to be lost with.

Well, I'd best get off of here and get to work! That ad spec for Poppy Mountain awaits :-)

Have a blessed day. Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment